Tuesday, July 15, 2008

California Dreamin'

This past week and a half have been very eventful! I'll try to remember everything, but I might add some more later if I forget something important.

Let's start with the Fourth of July, known here as Filipino/American friendship day. We totally forgot the day until the end of the day when I had the bright idea to take a fun picture in patriotic colors. Shown below. :)


The next day had two significant events. The first was one of my teammates falling and getting a bad sprained ankle. It's almost completely healed now, but it sure did take it's time! The second even was that the Bob Tebow team came. There were about fifteen American youth (high school and college age) from Florida with him. It was very exciting for the kids, and a little different for us to have other Americans there. They brought lots of supplies for the kids and played with them almost the whole time they were there. Unfortunately, they were only able to stay for one night. However, they will be coming back the night before we leave. Mr. Tebow gave me a good hard time for being from California and not a fan of college football. He called me California Dreamin', which I felt was more appropriate than he realized! Here's the all the kids doing a performance for their visitors.


On Sunday, as I was taking some pictures of flowers for a collage I'm planning to make, I got covered in red ants. My left arm, legs, and foot got twenty four bites total. Bummer! It was pretty bad, but I restrained myself from scratching. They're still visible now, but no longer itching. Also, I have been barely bitten other than that in the past few weeks.

Next was Monday, when we held True Love Waits Lesson 2 at the local high school. We added a section on showing respect to the opposite sex, particularly for some boys who thought it was funny to yell out inappropriate comments across the yard to us. They still do it, but maybe it'll sink in eventually. Some of the high school boys are older, like in their early twenties, and are already acting as bad as some of the men here. Anyway, this is me teaching one of the classes. Look how precious they are, being all studious and taking notes!

This one was actually taken the first week.

On Tuesday, we took off on a little adventure to Davao. Each Nehemiah Team gets a mid-trip vacation of three days and two nights to relax and regroup. We spent at least half of the time traveling and getting our gifts squared away, but it was well worth it. We stayed at a lovely place on the beach and were given the resident price (which is significantly lower than the tourist price) as well as a ten percent discount for being missionaries. It was VERY nice. :) Here's me on the beach.


We returned to the orphanage to find that we had been greatly missed. We jumped right back in to life there with our regular assignments and Bible studies. On Saturday, instead of having our usual day off since we really didn't need it, we took the five college girls out on a date. They were extatic to get to go into town and go to the mall. It was a day of firsts for them: their first time to go out without their house-parents, eat pizza, to go to a restaurant with Americans, get manicures, and go bowling. We also gave them five dollars each to buy themselves some things at the department store. The day was a big hit, needless to say. At the end of the day, we Americans were exhausted and the Filipinas were still excited, like kids who had just left Disneyland. Here's us at Shakey's Pizza (minus Sheri, who is taking the picture).


Not much new stuff has happened since then. We had our last session of TLW with the orphans. We had already finished the lessons, so we shared our personal testimonies on the topic. It went really well since the three of us had completely different testimonies. We held our third session
of TLW at the high school, and it went well. There is one session where the team has to split up, so I teach one class of fourth years while Sheri and Hannah teach a class of first years. I get a little discouraged in that class because I really feel like I'm not getting through to most of them. I asked the teacher to stay in the class with me for crowd control, and it went a little bit better this week. The teacher whose class we are teaching is an excellent host. He always prepares some sort of yummy snack for us in the teachers' room for break time, and we joke that we would come just for the snacks. But seriously, most of the classes are really receptive to us, and I get the feeling that we might do a lot of good in the area of prevention. When I look at some of their sweet little faces, I pray that we will.

Here's some pictures of daily life for us. To begin, we wake up just before the sunrise every weekday morning. This is the view from our window.
Next we get the kids ready for school and then walk them there.
While they're gone, we do our marketing in the open market in town. Here's the fruits and vegetables area.
We try to buy our meat right away, before the day gets too late. The meat market is a really interesting place. Here's me having some fun with a small shark and an eel's head. About twenty people gathered for our little photo shoot and they were rolling in laughter.

After school, we do our orphanage devotions. Then we have dinner and homework time. This is me working really hard with my assigned child, Angel. It's her little face that she makes, don't ask me what it's supposed to mean though!
This is another one of my little buddies, JohnRel. He's so sweet!
Shortly after homework time, we tuck into bed, literally!

Here's us dressed up for Sunday morning.
This is me and KB at church. He's the youngest orphan.
And this is Carlos, the child I was originally assigned to.
This past Sunday, I rode home from church on top of the jeep. Here's a picture I took from there.

Other than that, life has been rolling by for me. It's so easygoing and enjoyable here. However, I have noticed (understatement of the year) that the time to go home is drawing near. I'm pretty excited to see everyone (second understatement of the year). Hehe, some song that opened with "California, here I come" just started playing on the radio in here. Just pray for us that we would finish strong and have a fruitful debrief. Also, please pray for the kids, as our leaving will be really tough on them. Thanks so much for "joining" me on my long journey! I might not write again until after I get home. Hopefully I can talk to you all in person really soon!

Love,
California Dreamin'

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

First!

Haha the market sounds scary. The pig definitely grossed me out because I had a ham pizza last night. Blububbububhhh! (shaking jowls while making sound of dramatic barfing)

The kids sound like they're really...good. I wonder what it is because they seem too young to behave out of gratefulness or duty. Or maybe I'm just overexposed to little brats lately!

I am having a tough time right now with all the studying. I miss you so much and I can't wait until you're home and this is all over!

You know what I'm curious about? What kind of food do you miss, or what will you miss when you get back? I know in London I had some things like muesli or a certain popular vegetable soup or kabob pockets very regularly, and got used to them but then when I came home and they weren't around, I just went back to Mexican food and Trader Joe's.

Do you think you'll have a hard time being spoiled now because you'll be thinking about what else could have been done with the money? I always wondered about that with missionaries on furlough. I really want to spoil you when you come home but I don't know, maybe it's a bit uncomfortable for returning missionaries (not that I'm rolling in dough anyway!). I imagine that seeing first-hand the needs in poorer areas would cause a person to view his consumption in a different light, but ultimately I guess most people would still have a little treat now and then. Sometimes it just seems like the needs are so great and people don't know if their small change would really make any difference or where it would be best allocated.

I'm really proud of you (and yes you do deserve it) for rising up to the tasks you were given. Getting used to bugs and strange meats is no small feat, and giving of yourself to people you've never met takes a big heart.

If I don't get to contact you before you leave,

BON VOYAGE!

ssbalm said...

Hey sweet girl, Golly, I'm going to miss your stories! This has been so great to read all about you and your feelings and your adventures. You'd better keep your old aunt caught up on stuff when you get home!! I'm flying in the weekend you get home, so at least I'll be seeing you soon.

I really admire the fact that you and your friends have kept your eye on the prize there. A local church here in Florida just had a young people's group come back from a missionary trip to an orphanage in Mexico. I feel badly because they are so angry. They're a few years younger than you and it seems to me that they didn't have the kind of leadership they may have needed. Rather than focus on what they were able to do, they just came home bitter and angry about the circumstances the kids face. I know that God has a purpose for anger and I think it's mostly to give us the energy we need to right a wrong. I hope they use it for that, but it's hard to see them feeling so impotent right now. I don't think they got to have any of the joy you've expressed in bringing Jesus' love, and some good hard work, to a bunch of kids.

Plus, I know that a lot of this will continue to define you all of your life. I'm so happy I got to be related to you!! Hug all the kids for us - esp that little Angel, and hurry home. Love you tons, Auntie M and Cindy

Wendy said...

Becca,
I can't believe that almost six months has passed since you left! You've turned 21, had life-changing experiences, and made a difference in many lives. Praise the Lord.
I also can't believe that you are coming home on the same day as Jessica's Bar Exam! Would you two try to co-ordinate your momentous occasions better next time???
I'm excited to get to be with you again soon.
"Run with patience the race that is set before you, keeping your eyes on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith.."
Love and Prayers, Mama

Carolyn said...

Comet says "hi mom I miss you so much. I am having fun here at Carolyn's. She spoils me with treats and toys. She laughs at me a lot, not sure what thats about. She thinks that she is going to stop me from eating Megan's food but she is not successful. I started out with 15 toys but I chew up at least three a week. I can't help myself they make a sqeeky noise. She bought me this round flat thing that she throws and I am suppose to get it but I don't get it. I think she called it a frisbee. Anyway, I am glad you are coming home soon. Love Comet".

As you can tell Comet is fine. Enjoy the time you have left and endure the rest of your objectives. It appears that you have grown professionally and you are exceeding your own expectations. I am glad to know someone who is dedicating their live to ministry. There is no higher calling. See you soon.

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

We are so excited to have you coming home. Are we going to have to come up to Riverside to see you or are you going to visit here in the OC?

Uncle Russ

Unknown said...

Hi Rebecca,
Wow - what an amazing experience you are having! How cool to be able to be the face of Jesus to so many! I'm so very proud of you for doing this.

It's probably going to be very hard to leave, even though you're excited to get back home, so I'll be praying for you for a smooth transition and safe travels.

Take care,
Monica (Hanks)
(Grendal, Lindsay and Melanie say hi too!)

Anonymous said...

Don't you think you should consider a real job...sheesh! It sounds like you are really enjoying what you are doing. That awesome. Keep it up and we are lifting you. I'm glad we got the note from your Mom. I thought that you were back in the states living off the fat of the land. We love ya, Tim and the clan

Anonymous said...

Why don't you start thinking about a real job...sheesh! It sounds like you are really enjoying what you are doing. That's awesome! I'm glad your Mom let us know what was up. I thought you were back in the states living of the fat of the land. Keep up the good work and we will be lifting you. In the vine, Tim and the clan

sarnaa archie said...

Becca!!!!! I'm so excited to read about your missions work and see that it's going strong. God is surely honoring his word.

I'm on my way to Ethiopia in 14 days for good. Maybe you can make it out there.

Tonya said...

Becca, I enjoyed reading the posts from your mission trip to the Phillipinnes. My husband and I both have a heart for orphans and missions. We are both feeling called to go into full-time ministry. We were interviewed by a mission group today that has an opening in Sebu Island, Phillipinnes. Did you visit there? We are in our late 30's and have 3 adopted children. Our son is caucasian and our daughters are both asian. I went on a two week mission trip to Uganda last summer and will return again this summer. It was completely life changing for me. Both trips are orphan ministry, but this year will also have a focus on AIDS and hygiene lessons. I would be interested in any information you are willing to share with my about the Phillipinnes and your experience. How was the food, climate, poverty, orphanage, medical care, etc. We are making a huge life decision right now and are most concerned about our childrens welfare and safety. Any comments are much appreciated.

Blessings to you, Tonya