Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Finally Some Pictures!

This is a summary of all my pictures so far that I wasn't able to post before, so I'm sorry if it takes forever and a day to load! But I think it's worth it- looking at pictures is my favorite part of reading a blog! The captions are underneath.

Bye, Mom, I'll miss you! Also, please note that this was the last time my hair was actually done.

This is my room in Butuan, one of the few times it was clean. On the other side of the room is a mini classroom, complete with a whiteboard.

This is the backside of the Fortun house. The door to my room is on the far right. It's not connected to the house, but it's comfortably close.

The shower.

A meeting place out back of the house. Pretty, huh?

A view from the house of the local water pump.

Around the house again. It's so lush!

This is the doggies napping outside my door, waiting for me to come out. I named the puppies Stinky, Cutie, Meanie, and Sweetie. Stinky was my favorite.

These are my poor poor feet. They have bandaids for the blisters that I got from wearing flip flops every day. One the right is an excellent example of my allergic reaction to red ant bites. As you can see, though the bite is just a bit under my two first toes, the swelling goes all the way around to my ankle, as did the itching. Some of my mosquito bites also react this way. While disciplining some kids today, I got six ant bites on my feet. I was NOT happy. Thankfully, some allergy medicine that my mom sent me has helped keep the swelling down so far. Thanks, Mom! I would say, "Where would I be without you?", but I think this picture says it all!

At this point, I realized that I didn't have any pictures of myself yet. I happened to be dressed up at the moment for a party we were going to, so I took a picture, Filipino style.


This is Tyler, Ate Mimi's son, precariously perched on a ladder picking calamansis. A calamansi looks like a small, round lime. they call it a Filipino lemon. It's absolutely amazing in soysauce. I'll pretty much eat anything dipped in soysauce and calamansi.

This is the display for movies playing at the one mall in Butuan, paintings of the movie posters. Cool, huh?

The makings of a delicious meal. The long green stuff is batong, like a really long green bean. And yes, I did cook this, all by myself! And yes, it was yummy!


This is my adopted little brother Troy, Ate Mimi's youngest son, taking a nap in his parent's office. I spent many a happy afternoon there running errands, practicing Cebuano, and just hanging out.

This is how my birthday began... at five thirty in the morning... which is during sunrise... which meant that I got a ton of bug bites in the half hour that I was serenaded.


This is where I spent most of my birthday, at the beautiful Duka Bay, famous for it's cold springs and brilliant blue starfish.
I just had to include this charming picture of myself, swimming with Troy. We were dunking, hence the facial expressions.
This the the family that came to the beach that day, and me (I'm the white one...)

This is the outdoor grill at the beach. They made barbequed pork, fish, and squid... I skipped the squid. The pork was delicious, but I bit into a piece that still had skin and hair on it, which apparently is not uncommon here.


This is a bunch of the kids at the beach.




This is a cute picture of Myrtle, Ate Mimi's second oldest daughter.




Maymay and Ate Mimi.


Some of the little cousins playing in the ocean.
My adopted fourteen year old brother, Tyler.


Maymay and me reclining on the beach...


This is the saddest dog in the world- almost no fur left, starving, and one of her back legs is lame. She was wandering around our area all day looking for scraps. Dogs here are very different from in the States. There, dogs are treated like children, while here, children are often treated like dogs, especially poor beggar children. Sad, huh?


This is Tyler, Myrtle, me, Maymay, and Bebe on the lounge chairs at Duka Bay.

Maymay's friends and me on the evening of my birthday. They got me flowers for my birthday, so my friend Marvin and I thought we'd be silly. He's a character...


These are of me singing at the Fortun's church, Bible Believers Fellowship, in Butuan. It was part of their program to have one special song before the sermon, and I got to do it my last Sunday there. I sang God of Wonders.

This is a few of us at the beach a few days before I left Butuan (not Duka Bay, a closer beach). It was another fun family day with lots of food and swimming. Good times...



This is my Filipino brother, Kuya Jun (pronounced June). He is proudly showing off a delicious creation that we made called mango float. If you're a very lucky person, I just might make it for you one of these days. It's amazing. Oh yeah, and so is Jun. He really helped me in the process of adjusting to the culture.
These are some of my friends and I hanging out at a local coffee shop in Butuan. In the back is Joyce, then Ryan, me, Edgar, and Pai. Joyce and Ryan are cousins of the Fortun kids and the other two are friends that I met through them. We spent a handful of evenings here because it's a nice, cheap place to hang out and talk.



Now I journey on to my first orphanage job at Love the Children.



This is Carlo. He was grounded (by me), so he's looking out the window watching the other kids play. I found his story in an old Love the Children update letter. When he was four, his father abandoned him in a busy market place. He wandered the streets of that area for a few days before someone took him to the authorities to try to locate his parents. Carlo didn't know his last name and his parents left him on the streets with no way of survival. After a fruitless search for his parents, Carlo was given over to Love the Children. He's been there a couple years now. He's generally a sweet kid, but he can have a mischievious streak at times.

These are most of the girls at Love the Children. Four of the older girls were at school at the time this was taken. This is also about the number of them who sleep on the two bunk beds shown.

This is Jonel, one of the "older" boys that I was friends with, me, and Jaymark who invited himself into the picture.



This is the boys fighting with sticks (right before I made them put all the sticks away before they hurt each other). Aren't they sweet at this age?

This is Bamboo. He is part dog, part tiger. He is very good at discouraging unwanted visitors.

This is the kids playing in the yard. In the back, you can see two of the houses, one for the girls and one for the troubled boys. The other two houses for the younger boys and the older boys are upstairs inside a big building. The kitchen and dining room are downstairs.

This is some of the older girls working in the kitchen. The second girl there is 19 years old and working alongside her mother in the kitchen full-time. Her mom is the main cook there. The kitchen was one of my favorite places to be because the company was always good.

This is some of the girls helping to sort out the laundry. The kids go through two outfits a day, more or less, so the laundry is a lot of work! The hired laundry person left one day and never returned, so the girls stepped up.

Okay, so I know you're not supposed to have favorites, but this is one of mine. Her name is Maila, and her smile is actually a lot cuter than that. She's very small for her age (12), but she's also mature for her age. Her English was good, so she helped translate to the younger kids sometimes.

This is the other girl I was close to, Sheila Mae. She is also 12, and she just graduated from elementary school (a big achievement that many adults here have not accomplished). Since there is no jr. high here, she will start high school next year. I stayed an extra day at Love the Children and delayed my trip to Manila by a day to go to her graduation. I was just like a proud mama, running around taking pictures of everything.

This is Loyd and me. He's the youngest in the younger boys' room (there might be a couple of the troubled boys who are younger). Loyd is 6 and cute as can be! He's so hard to punish because he flashes you his same huge smile even when he's being naughty. He does a precious silly dance and taught me how to make cool shapes with rubberbands on my fingers (a popular game here). Dad, if I were to steal a son for you, this would be him.

My time at Love the Children was both challenging and rewarding. The schedule was strenuous at times and I had to function on less sleep most of the time, but I made some valuable relationships with some of the kids and staff. Now I'm at my second orphanage, called New Faith Family Children's Home (I had to consult my polo that I'm currently wearing for that one). I'm still getting into the swing of things here- I had my first official shift today, from 8AM to 4PM. It will be nice to have eight hour shifts instead of 24 hour ones for six days straight! The kids were very naughty today, but I hope that they will learn to be respectful and obedient towards me, even though I'm new here. There's plenty to do on my off time here in Manila and plenty of other volunteers and workers here to do it with. It looks like these next couple weeks will be a completely different and fun adventure!

Thanks for all your love and support! I love reading your comments, thanks so much for keeping in touch! I love you guys! ~Becca

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow, Becca, awesome photos! It's so nice to actually "see" you there. What a beautiful place and beautiful people group.
It makes me so happy and proud (not crying, not blubbering) to see you making a difference in these young lives. And I know they are changing you, too.
I was Soooo glad to hear your voice this morning! I love you and I'm praying for you, Mom

Dave said...

If I got bit by an ant and my feet swelled up I would freak out and always wear boots the rest of the trip! I hate ants, especially big red ones that bite! I laughed at the bucket labeled "shower" pic :) Looks more like "sucks".
Obviously things are done a little differently there. I doubt I could handle the "aborted duck" soup, however. Maybe if you think like what's the difference if your just going to let the duck hatch, then grow up a couple years and then slaughter it and eat it then? I guess there's egg and then there's meat, but "meategg"? Weird. I heard the Chinese bury raw eggs and let them rot underground for a year while it absorbs minerals and stuff, and then they dig it up and it's all green and brown and gross and then they eat it. Okay I'm stopping now...

Thanks for the blog with photo updates! There are some lovely shots and a few lovely ones of lovely you and it's always lovely to see you! ;P

naomi said...

Hi Becca, It was so good to see pics of you. It looks like you are really into the culture there. How are you feeling about being so far from home? I can't believe that you are really so far away. I know that we all miss you a lot. Joanie is getting really big and talks up a storm. She'll be 2 on the 25th, can you believe it??? I can't. She misses you too. Also, we are having an ultrasound in about 3 weeks to see the baby for the first time and hopefully find out the gender. We've narrowed the girls names down to Abigail Joy or Hannah Joy and the boy is still Nathan Howard. We'll obvisouly keep you posted when and if we arw able to see anything. I am so proud of you with all of the great things you are doing. Chris says to say that he is proud, but that he misses you. We all love you.
Na

Anonymous said...

The pictures are so amazing! It's so incredible how a little child can change you life in such a dramatic way! What a blessing! It's wonderful to see all the great things your doing over there! I can't wait to see me in the months to come! I love you dearly and I'm praying for you always!

*Shauna Bear*

ssbalm said...

Oh sweetheart, what great pictures! They really make the place come alive for us. I wish I could figure out a way to send you some of my pix from Israel. It was a great trip and they were all SO kind to us. I'll see if I can post a pic back for you as I make my way through this. I know this adventure is going to change your life! Love, Auntie M

Carissa said...

YEah! Pictures! I love you short hair! It looks great!

Want to hear something funny. My boss forwarded me an email today from one of the people who gets her weekly prayer update emails because she talked about how her daughter was overseas with CBU. Guess who the email was from? Your mom!!! What a small world huh?

keep running the race!

sarnaa archie said...

Hey Becca!

I miss you. When are you going to be coming out my way? I had fun with you and I know the rest of the team did as well. We have to stay in touch. my email is sarnaa@gmail.com

Uncle Russ said...

I love your pictures, Becca, but are sorry about the bugs. In some places they come with the territory.
What you're doing sounds so great and I'm excited that you have this opportunity. On the other hand, we missed you at Joanie's Birthday party. Uncle Russ

Costa Rica 2 Mission Team 2008 said...

Hey Becca

It's Drew from the Philippines, remember me :0). Hope everything is well. Here's my email address drewsterboogie@aol.com hit me up when you can.

Stay Blessed
Drew