Friday, May 2, 2008

Quick Update

So much has happened since I last blogged! This will have to be a short update for now until I have more time- I'm on the clock here at the internet cafe.

Since I wrote last, I've been to three new orphanages! I went to Manila for a whole month and visited two orphanages on that island, one just outside the city and one a few hours away. I had a fun time in Manila, taking in some of the big city culture and making friends with some American volunteers. The orphanage there was nice and well-supported, and it even had a guest house! The next place I went, called Open Door Christian Orphanage, was great. The kids and I got really attached to each other, even though I spent almost a week with the flu. (Don't worry, they took really good care of me!) Since they were out of school for their summer, I got to just hang out with them and get to know them better. There was a lot of older kids from the orphanage and youth from the church that I was able to share with and encourage. Also, I got to meet a bunch of other missionaries, short-term and long-term, on my travels. I'll post more on that next time when I can put some pictures up.

Right now I'm in a very rural area, in a city named Surallah. I just arrived at this orphanage and am still getting the ropes, but this will be the orphanage where I will spend June and July. I can tell already that I will be pushed to grow here, if not by having to share my testimony so many times, then by all the cockroaches, rats, and mosquitoes. I sleep under a mosquito net now, it's pretty cool. Oh, and this is the orphanage that is supported by the Tebow family, as in Tim Tebow, a very famous college football player at the moment. Look him up, his story is interesting.

Well, more later, I promise! I just wanted to let you all know that I'm alive and well. Please keep me in your prayers, I'm getting a bit homesick. Also, pray for me to have courage in sharing my testimony and encouraging the kids. Lastly, please pray for the salvation of the people here. Thanks so much for keeping in touch! Love you guys! ~Becca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Becca....

So your a deeper sleeper now...and yes I will get some ideas I promise! haha

What a blessing it is to hear about all your amazing experiences there. Though the bug stories disturb me slightly, I'm so proud of you for sharing your testimony and allowing God to speak through you! How amazing!!

I'm praying for you and I can't wait till you come home!!!!! I love you!!

*Shauna Bear*